unit3 are pleased to announce that we will be working alongside the built environment charity PLACED in providing student mentoring on their new Hidden Liverpool Schools Programme.
As part of the year long ‘Hidden Liverpool’ project which includes numerous city wide events, the schools programme will see year 12 and 13 students being challenged to develop ideas about how Liverpool’s empty buildings could be brought back into use, redesigning them for some of the city’s most exciting local businesses.
Commencing October 2013, creative workshops will be delivered by a team from unit3 in partnership with Liverpool John Moores University and PLACED.
Workshops will cover a wide range of subjects, from heritage and history, to developing a brief and urban design.
The project benefits include:
• Supports learning across the curriculum and the development of a wide range of skills
• Students have the option of gaining an Extended Project Qualification
• Gives genuine insight into careers and study routes in the built environment
• Excellent addition to student CV and UCAS forms
• Links to professionals from design practices and businesses across Liverpool
• Promotional opportunity for school including inclusion of work from school in public exhibition.
At the end of the academic year the winning project team from each school will present their proposals to a Dragons Den panel – representatives from key organisations from the city. An overall winner will be selected, with all work being exhibited in a public exhibition.
We are thoroughly looking forward to taking part in this programme and seeing what ideas the aspiring young architects of tomorrow can develop!
More information on Hidden Liverpool can be found here: www.hiddenliverpool.org.uk
More information on the charity PLACED can be found here: www.placed.org.uk